Subject: Re: [Leica] lenses
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 16:34:36 -0500

At 10:17 AM 9/5/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Further, if the lenses are "farmed out" to Japanese manufacturers, should we
>not expect to pay no more than comparable Japanese made lenses rather than
>paying super high prices for what most believe is superior German
>craftsmanship?

No, because they go through a much more rigorous quality control process
(don't tell me people with Leicas have more problems than people who buy
Japanese cameras, I've been on the other lists, and it's just as bad or
worse - Nikon, Canon, Contax, etc.). With higher rejection rates, it
becomes more expensive per unit, and then a smaller number of units have to
generate a certain amount of revenue to keep the company afloat. So they
won't cost the same.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

    My best work is often almost unconscious and occurs ahead of my ability
to understand it. -Sam Abell; "Stay This Moment"