Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica factory, and following comments!
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 10:34:39 -0400

Elliot-
Good post, and I appreciate your take on Leica. It seems that Leica is not
just a 'brand' but a phenomenon! It is a marque synonymous with quality,
durability, and a tradition unmatched by most businesses.
I have always felt that having a Leica, particularly an older one, is like
owning a bit of history- the Summar and Elmar-90 from 1937 seem almost
magical! I can well imagine them recording the press conferences about the
disappearances of Earhart and Noonan, photographing some scenes of the Great
Depression on a camera wielded by a WPA photographer, recording the burning
of the Hindenburg, maybe photographing Pearl Harbor, or being at some place
and time in history!
Was my 1939 IIIa sent to Leitz of NY or was it a war trophy? It is in
amazingly good shape- I got it through the help of Paul Scheimer- and he
told me it was donated to an art center for sale by an old gentleman who may
have had it for 40-50 years! What stories it could tell! What sights it may
have seen and photographed!
I have a couple of LIFE magazines, from 1939 and 1946 on my camera shelf ,
and a 1937 National Geographic- Did some of my stuff make the images in
those magazines? Back when a Kodak movie camera was $34.50, and you could
get a sectional bookcase for $11.50!
I hope you got some images there- do they allow photographs to be made
there? and that you will possibly share them with us! It is always good to
hear posts such as your! I am continually fascinated! Thanks!
Dan