Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and Hasselblad
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 11:57:32 -0500

At 06:36 AM 9/6/99 -0700, you wrote:
>The biggest difference on the surface is that Leitz is, first and foremost,
>an optical house.  Hasselblad is a mechanical house (  Zeiss designed and
>manufactured Lenses).

On the surface. But I know plenty of pros who refuse to use Hasselblad. One
of them (who had Apple computer's account for some time) said "Why do you
think they call them Hassel-blad?" But they are the Nikon of MF. Image, or
reputation, and a wide market in used hardware. That's some of the reasons
why Hasselblad is so popular. And great lenses. But marketing plays a very
large part. I hate to admit it, but with all its warts, I'd probably buy
Hasselblad if I went MF. (Only because the flash sync. on the Contax 645 is
1/125).

Why is the RB-67 so popular after being so obsolete for so many years with
portrait photographers? Peer pressure is my guess. And huge investments in
equipment from the days when it wasn't quite so obsolete. It sure isn't
convenience, speed or optical quality. What we Leica users treasure.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

    My best work is often almost unconscious and occurs ahead of my ability
to understand it. -Sam Abell; "Stay This Moment"