Subject: Re: [Leica] Current Events
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 1999 12:33:57 -0700

"Paparazzi cleared in Diana's death" was a headline Saturday. As a professional
photographer I find the lifting of the burden of that stigma a great relief.
Almost like when the Pope pardoned my Jewish ancestors for killing Christ few
decades back. Some things you don't want to walk around having hanging over your
head. Three cheers for the French Magistrates and a few more for the Pope! How
can I be expected to capture the decisive moment with all that deadweight?

"Case marks big shift in pain policy" on the cover of Thursdays Oregonian.
"In an apparent first for the nation, an Oregon medical board acts against a
doctor primarily for undertreatment." Oregon has a chronic intractable pain law
since 1995 which sent a message about people with long term but not necessarily
terminal pain conditions. "no longer room for doctors in Oregon who won't
aggressively treat pain,..," No other State has done something about Doctors who
don't do enough to treat pain. In the 1980's the emphasis was on not turning
patients into addicts. Some Doctors don't keep current. They in effect made this
Doctor go back to school.
The first issue in the case mentioned was that the Doctor "Used Tylenol to tread
an elderly an who was in pain from terminal cancer." as the patient got worse it
was not dealt with.
If Pain is an issue that if you are not facing now you sure as hell will be
facing it someday. I'm glad the issue is being dealt with.
Mark Rabiner