Subject: Re: [Leica] Current Events
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:12:16 -0700

Marc,

At the CNN website you can read excerpts from the French Magistrate's
report. I won't re-copy them here because they are copywritten. However, he
expressly found that the photographers did not resort to "ruse or violence"
nor was there any failure to render assistance on the part of the
photographers. One of the five photographers who were in the tunnel before
emergency crews arrived tried to call for assistance on a cell phone and the
others were told by onlookers that help had already been summoned.

The magistrate also found no evidence that any of the photographers were
close to the Mercedes at the time of the accident and, while questioning
their activities morally, expressly concluded that that the behavior of the
photographers, "does not constitute in this case a clear breach of criminal
law."

Bryan