Subject: Re: [Leica] The future of R
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 11:47:28 +0400

Doug Herr wrote:

> Is anything aside from pride keeping Leica from marketing an
> entry-level
> SLR and lenses with the R-bayonet?  I wouldn't have to be called a
> Leica -
> how about Minox R?  It would introduce many more people to the R
> system at
> lower cost, and having an entry-level camera available would persuade
> some
> to buy Leica R knowing that a backup body and infrequently-used lenses
> need
> not cost as much as the premium stuff.

Minox-R! Seems like an excellent idea to me. I wouldn't be too happy
seeing a load of cheap Leica cameras around. I'm not even happy with
those low-end point and shoots they make. I think they blemish the
brand. Hasselblad doesn't make $250 cameras and they're doing fine,
aren't they. Rolls Royce would be out of business if they made a $50,000
car with that name on it. I think the cheap Leicas are a big mistake.
Some say it helps the name get around, but I don't believe there's a
need for that; just target your real buyers more accurately, and you
don't need to the general public to know about your brand.

Bernard