Subject: Re: [Leica] Current Events
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 06:07:43 -0700

Marc,

You're correct - and I heartily agree with your frustration about the
confusion in this country between "innocent" and "guilty." However, the
French photographers were never formallycharged, and this was not their
trial. They were merely one part of an extensive investigation. It was the
conclusion of that investigation that they had done nothing criminal. This
might be more akin to a grand jury in this country refusing to indict
someone after investigating the facts.

Yes, it does not prove innocence - but then, nothing really does. In the
United States there is a presumption of innocence which means that someone
found by a jury to be not guilty is therefore presumed innocent. I don't
think the French have the same presumption and I don't know what effect the
report has regarding res judicata or collateral estoppel (if any).

Bryan