Subject: [Leica] Leica Lenses, Nikon Body
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 06:38:07 -0700

There is a lively debate on the pros and cons of offering the R8, making a
new batch of R7, a AF R8, etc.  But these are camera bodies.  Is this
Leica's strength?  Is the target market a bunch of older ( read that as more
wealthy) amateurs that believe in the word Leitz?  Does this support them
long term?  I think the thick wallet amateur is too small a market for Leica
SLR.  Defining my idea of the market that Leica should pursue is the thought
that the optics are superb, and Leica is good at making glass.  Their R+D
efforts in mechanical design of bodies is very heavy and the need to have AF
is really overdue.  IS it possible to re-invent the camera maker of SLR
cameras into a star by focusing in what they do best?  Making Optics?  GO
for the Professional that requires the best in optics, but let someone else
take on the R+D burden for the cameras.

We all agree the strength of Leica is the glass.  The image quality.  What
about Leica producing AF lenses for other makers' cameras?  Sort of a high
end Sigma, Tamron, Vivitar, etc?  Would this work?  Would working pros buy
these lenses for their current F5?

As I remember it, the French lens maker Angenieux made ( makes?) lenses for
various cameras.   They were highly regarded as great, but pricey.  They did
little to no advertising.  Can Leica focus on this market?

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net