Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Lenses, Nikon Body
From: "Art Sala" <artsala@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:11:41 -0700

Years ago, I had a couple of these Angenieux lenses mounted to my Nikon F3,
and thought I was getting the best of both worlds: Great glass / Great
body!  I would love an F100/F5 with Leica glass on it!  Although is sad to
see Leica having problems with the R line, I'm thankful the M line is
healthy with new lenses being offered (yes, and AE M6 would be lovely).
Cheers
Arturo

- ----------
> From: Frank Filippone <red735i@earthlink.net>
> To: Leica-Users-Group <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
> Subject: [Leica] Leica Lenses, Nikon Body
> Date: Tuesday, September 07, 1999 6:38 AM
>
> There is a lively debate on the pros and cons of offering the R8, making
> new batch of R7, a AF R8, etc.  But these are camera bodies.  Is this
> Leica's strength?  Is the target market a bunch of older ( read that as
more
> wealthy) amateurs that believe in the word Leitz?  Does this support them
> long term?  I think the thick wallet amateur is too small a market for
Leica
> SLR.  Defining my idea of the market that Leica should pursue is the
thought
> that the optics are superb, and Leica is good at making glass.  Their R+D
> efforts in mechanical design of bodies is very heavy and the need to have
AF
> is really overdue.  IS it possible to re-invent the camera maker of SLR
> cameras into a star by focusing in what they do best?  Making Optics?  GO
> for the Professional that requires the best in optics, but let someone
else
> take on the R+D burden for the cameras.
>
> We all agree the strength of Leica is the glass.  The image quality.
What