Subject: [Leica] R8 winder woes.
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:54:25 +1000

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
The thought of being without my R8 and winder for 6 weeks makes me hesitant to
send it in to Leica.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Dave,

Well you are not the first to have electronic mishaps with the R8 winder
combination. As you may know, mine spent 4 of its first 12 months in
Germany making 3 return visits before they replaced the whole camera. The
result is a functional unit that has not had a hiccup [touch wood]. For all
the agony of getting the camera replaced, Leica's dealer in Australia set
me up with a loner camera, so that I was not without a camera during this
time. That in my opinion was fantastic local service, given that the camera
was being repaired under international warranty, not local.

So beware the R8 in combination with a winder has been my advise to any who
care to listen. I do not usually use winders, and if I had not been
convinced to get one by the LUG, I'd have never known the camera was
faulty. Now that I'm testing the winder on the new body as often as I can,
I'm kinda gettin to like using a winder, so I hope it continues to act
flawlessly.

Good luck, but if I were you I'd start getting it looked into ASAP, those
"symptoms" may well be more than just poor contact, but if the camera is
sent back to Leica, the contacts will be "renewed" and brought up to the
newer specs automatically anyway, and this may save a lot of grief. Ask
your dealer for a replacement body.

Cheers

Alastair Firkin