Subject: Re: [Leica] Galen Rowell and Nikon
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 09:08:43 EDT

mrabiner@concentric.net writes:

<< Those grads gross me out. Kinda makes him the Peter Gowland of the color
 landscape but I prefer Gowland. Actively marketing stuff like Grads makes it
 hard for some people like me to take your work seriously.
 Color makes it harder because it's too easy.
 Mark Rabiner >>

I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm the self-appointed Galen
Groupie of the LUG, but since he's not here to set things straight:  Rowell
does not use or market color grads.  The grads he markets (made to his specs
by Singh-Ray) are ND grads and they only thing "special" about them is the
degree and position of the gradients (there are 4 filters) and the oversize
length of the filters.  He found that the ones available from the major
filter manufacturers had limitations and he simply had Singh-Ray make some up
to his design.  They will do that for *anyone*.  Of course since Galen has a
famous name, he took advantage of it and markets the filters.  Most of us
would do the same if we had the opportunity.