Subject: [Leica] Re: Roger Hicks Voigtlander Review Sept Shutterbug
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 21:09:11 +0800

For Luggers who might not have ready access to it, Roger W. Hicks reviews
the Voigtlander Bessa L in the 'First Look" section of the September issue
of Shutterbug (pages 66 - 67) and says in part "the lenses (the 15mm Heliar
and the 25 mm Skopar) astonished me. Vignetting is modest, even at full
aperture, and improves on stopping down. They are very contrasty, thanks to
low numbers of glass air surfaces, and multi coating. (He then goes into
lp/mm testing before continuing) " In other words they are excellent wide
open, but they are stunning at a stop down from wide open. Their only real
drawback, until you are used to them, is that the focus and aperture rings
are close together." Later he goes on to say that " the first place winner
is the basic Bessa L plus 25/4 lens . . . for many kinds of street
photography, travel, and reportage, this small easy to use and affordable
outfit should introduce thousands to the delights of direct vision cameras.
It may also boost the sales of more conventional rangefinder cameras,
including the Leica." (Editorial comment: ahem!)
In conclusion he ends with " in second place is the near miraculous 15/4.5.
Until now the only real option for Leica users who wanted an extreme wide
angle lens was to try to find an 16/8 Zeiss Hologon in Leica mount.
Extremely rare, these commonly fetch $10,000." (Ed note: in the same
Shutterbug Tamarkin is advertising a new 16mm Zeiss Hologon in Leica mount
for US$2695 and selling the 15mm Heliar for US$795 - both with
viewfinders). Hicks goes on " My own suspicion is that the majority of
Heliars will be sold to Leica users, rather than for the Bessa L - though
once you have a Bessa L, you might as well buy a 15mm too."
I have had a Bessa L and the Heliar for several months and I agree with
most of what Roger Hicks says. I find I don't use the Bessa L much but I
drop the Heliar in my bag and use it with an M6 or CLE whenever my 24
Elmarit isn't wide enough. The Heliar viewfinder is a pleasure to use -
better for my eyes than the Leica 24mm finder. I haven't bothered to buy
the Skopar, but when the prices fall a bit more here in Hong Kong, I think
I will and then the Bessa may see more use. What is neat about the camera
and the lenses is their size. The camera is just a bit smaller than an M6
but much lighter and lenses are diminutive - like Elmars from the 30's and
40's. From a quality point of view, the Heliar produces excellent images
for my type of shooting - colour neg "happy snaps" and on a cost value
scale it is, in my opinion, a great buy.
I don't see the introduction of the Bessa and LTM lenses as a threat to
Leica but rather as a means of introducing more people to the joys of 35mm
rangefinder photography. A modern LTM rangefinder camera would be another
step in opening the market. Maybe Leica and Cosina should co-operate on
this - Cosina by all reports is almost there with the announcement of their
rangefinder LTM based on the Bessa L expected very shortly. That
co-operation wouldn't be any stranger than the badge engineering
cooperation on the Leica digital camera with Fuji. Being naturally
optimistic (I am, after all, in sales! :)) I think we are entering into a
period of renaissance in rangefinder cameras which will benefit all
manufacturers of such cameras - especially "Mother Leica" and I look
forward to trying them all - while still keeping and adding to my Leica M
inventory.
Best Regards
Howard Cummer.