Subject: Re: [Leica] Affordable Leica Lenses
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:20:21 GMT

These were both fine lenses.  It is likely that the cost of manufacturing a
good 35 f2.8 is not THAT much lower than an F2.0.  But you can't sell the
2.8 for anywhere near the price of the faster lenses.

Too bad, since competitors like Contax have been able to attract a following
of new owners based on the quality and price of their basic line.  You can
get into Contax in all the major focal lengths for less than the price of
one 35 f1.4R.

Leica has never learned the concept of tiered pricing, although nearly every
other industry/company in the world has.  The old line about "only building
the best" is really bull.  They took the low volume- high margin approach
and are paying the price for that strategy in an ever shrinking customer
base.

It would be refreshing to see some lenses/cameras built that are of high
optical and mechanical quality, but sans the high apertures and fancy
features.  Price them a little above the Contax line and people will flock
to the brand name Leica in droves.  As anyone in business can tell you,
SALES cure all other ills.

Best wishes
Dan States