Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V11 #49 PrincessDi & the leica & vultures
From: Bernard Delgado <delgado@nytimes.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:40:55 -0500

>c!
>When Kennedy died I don't recall anyone thinking let alone everyone thinking
>that it was the PHOTOGRAPHERS that did it or were at fault. I am a
>photographer.
>I shoot pictures of people. I am glad my profession has been "cleared"
>from this
>widely publicized and historic incident which clearly involves many basic
>legal
>and moral issues also of special interest to photographers and photography:
>Freedom of the press, privacy issues are all integrally entwined here.
>And I am resentful that Photographers were put in question in the first
>place.
>If the relevance of this escapes you than hit the delete button when you see
>issues that pertain to doing photography in the real world and go play
>with your
>expensive cameras in your cloistered walls.
>Mark Rabiner

Hi,
I  like the M3. I like to street shoot. I dont like to get in anyone's
face. occassionally people get in my face. I had a hotdog vendor cross a
street & rant at me for taking his picture w/o asking for a photorelease. I
wasnt even taking his pic. Finally I had to yell at him that he was on
public ground & that I'd informed him of his legal rights. That snapped him
out of it & he went back to his weiners.
He was nutty. MAybe he was an illegal immigrant or something & worried I
was w/ the govt...or IRS. I dont know.
People get weird when they see a camera...even a leica.
Some people jump up & beg to have their pic taken.
People can be nutty.

Some press photogs & paparazzi can run up & rally get in your face. I've
seen a press shooter get about 2 inches from a politician & start blasting
away. Hey its part of the job. Theyre using a wideangle & trying not to let
anyone else get in their way. To create that dynamic image they are prob
inconveniencing everyone around. But its expected at press conferences &
security will breakit up if it gets crazy.
Some Paparazzi are well known for stalking their celebrities w/ almost
fanantical overzealousness. Some have been taken to court & injunctions
placed on them.

I just think that If I were speeding behind a celebrity & saw them crash,
then I'd be moral enough to call an ambulance before deciding to take a
picture.

I hope that If I were ever in an accident, people would use those
cellphones to call for help & not to call an editor.

Decency.
- -bmd