Subject: [Leica] R future
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:36:54 -0700

Nathan,

You make some very interesting comments about the R8, especially how it has
too many bells and whistles for amateurs, and not enough for professionals.
Still, the more I look at it, the more I like it. The features are very
practical, especially those related to flash exposure. It has a very nice
feel, even though it doesn't have the look of the more traditional bodies.

Reliability is a concern. It's still a relatively new body, at least in
terms of numbers. Perhaps as the R8 matures it will become more appealing.
I've heard some people lament that they sold their R7s to buy R8s, but in
general I think R8 owners seem to be very content. Good or bad, there
aren't many choices in terms of new R bodies.

I'd be interested to know how many people own both an R7 and and R8, and
which they use more often. That's usually a pretty good indication of which
body they like more.

Like you I started out with an older body. I bought an SL. I liked
everything about it, except for the metering system. I bought all 3-cam
lenses. First a 50/2, then a 28/2.8, then a 90/2. I also picked up a
400/5.6 Telyt and a 2X converter. I haven't used my SL since I purchased an
R7. I considered an R6.2, but I like the exposure system in the R7.

I like everything about the system I now own. I may add a 180/2.8 and a
60/2.8 in the future. Or perhaps a 100/2.8. I'm not in any hurry. I want to
keep things simple. Flash photography is not important to me know, but it
may be in the future. At that point I may purchase an R8.

Dave