Subject: Re: [Leica] Artwork photos: Ektachrome 100?
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 21:45:19 -0700

> At 08:40 PM 9/9/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >

> >> I've been experimenting shooting some artwork for a friend of mine.
> >> The pieces are mostly paintings with very subtle differences in colors,
> >> which need to be reproduced as accurately as possible.
> >> I hear that Ektachrome 100 m ight be a better choice, if used outdoors
in
> >> daylight.  Any suggestions?

A film emulsion cannot reproduce all colors faithfully.  The chemistry of
film is different from that in paints.
Try a variety of films until you are satisfied that the paints used by your
friend are matched as closely as possible by the film.

As for a light source, it is hard to improve on sunlight. It is very even.
Place the painting at a 45 degree angle to the sun in a NEUTRAL environment
such as cement floor and gray building. This will prevent surrounding colors
from influencing the final result (an object photographed on a green lawn
will be rendered with an overall green cast in the photo).
The best time to photograph outdoors is between 9-11AM and 3-5-PM in Summer.
During these times the light is closest to 5,500-6,000K.

I have copied art using this system very successfully. I found that
Ektachrome was most suited overall for most paints used by my clients.

Good luck,
Joseph Codispoti