Subject: Re: [Leica] A mystery postscript
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:02:43 -0400

Donal Philby wrote:

> Terrible about your R8 troubles.  It is one reason I try to always carry
> a polaroid back just to at least once a day run something through it and
> see if everything working before I commit the body to a bunch of work.
> Alternatively, I have carried a polachrome processor and a few short
> rolls of polachrome.  Yeah, i costs $10=15 to run one, but saves a lot.
> In your case, you may not have even thought you would need to,
> understandably.  So weird.
>
> Will it help if I tell you everything I just shot in Nova Scotia with
> the 20mm showed vignetting--apparently something has moved inside,
> jostling on the airplane, since the job I shot the day before leaving
> was fine?.  Off to repair shop.

Donal,

My R8 went back to NJ for replacement of its warped lens mount,
estimated at $600, most of which is labor I'm told. I've since bought a
second R8 (a spiff chrome one! w/Passport from Tamarkin) and the new Apo
90M. Tonight, I return to the scene of the crime (Cleveland) to reshoot,
this time with the new R8 w/MLU and the 70-180 on one tripod and an M6
and the new Apo 90 Asph. on the other. Quite a dual, eh? Also, found 8
rolls of the new Provia III 100F which I'll use in one camera versus
either Velvia or K25 in the other. SOMETHING should come out sharp from
that, I hope. The winner is going to be printing-press printed full
bleed 13x20 on the best paper I could buy as the backdrop for an
introductory essay in a new brochure we're printing using a 200 line
screen. We did press tests using 200 and 250 line screens and the 200
looked better in the shadows with no visible detail advantage for
either. More than 60 Leica photos included in this one, plus one Contax
G2 shot using the 21 Biogon, just to break the monotony! Stay tuned.

David W. Almy
Annapolis