Subject: Re: [Leica] Beauty of the digital darkroom
From: Martin Howard <mvh@media.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 18:54:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Eric Welch wrote:

> I have yet to see one single professional design/graphics house that uses
> it [GIMP] over Photoshop.

The GNU Free software is not all that popular among end users in
professional contexts, because there is no support division which you can
automatically turn to.  You have to know what you are doing, or be willing
to invest the time to learn.

I don't think that the GIMP has been available for all that long.  I learnt
of it only about a year ago and have only just recently got round to
installing it.

Finally, I was talking in the context of amateur use by those who read this
newsgroup.  I frankly don't see why you should need to get so upset by the
fact that, in my opinion, GIMP does everything and more that I've ever used
Photoshop for.  I don't use Photoshop for everything, and I don't use it
professionally, but that's beside the point.  OK, so in other contexts,
Photoshop may be a more powerful tool: I'm not sure that justifies the
flamethrower, though...

M.

- --
Martin Howard                                 (__)                 (__)
Visiting Scholar at MIT Media Lab |           (oo)                 (OO)
email: mvh@media.mit.edu          |   /|     ||
www: http://mvhoward.i.am/        | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~