Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: glass plate negs
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 22:51:04 -0500

At 10:54 PM 9/10/99 -0400, Paul Schiemer wrote:
>Leica played an important part in the development of the 'technology' of
>photojournalism, but it was not the progenitor as you claim.

Leica came before the Photo magazines in Britain (that Eisenstandt for one
got his start in) and made possible the kind of photography that made those
magazines sing. Then in Britain, and finally LIFE in the U.S. All of the
work wasn't done with Leicas, but the profession as we know it today was
created by the possibilities the Leica gave the world that were simply not
possible with larger format cameras. This is basic photojournalism history.
I did a lot of research on the technology of photojournalism while in grad.
school. It might yet be a chapter in a textbook some day, so I'm told.

But if you don't understand what I'm saying, it won't do me much good to
keep saying it. You are looking at black and white. A picture in a paper
means photojournalism, you say. It's not black and white. Photojournalism
can use larger formats for sure. Portraits, other scenes that are more
calm, meditative, technical. But... what I'm saying is photojournalism is
much more than pictures in print.

It's impact in print.

It's story telling with a camera that frees photographer from the
constraints of cameras and films that slow them down. That cause them to
pose pictures, to recreate, to work off a tripod. To use a big flash. Those
kinds of things were the tools of the trade until the Leica came along. And
the pictures changed. They were more dynamic, more powerful, more "real."
And the profession will never be the same. That's the heritage of the
Leica. No other camera can lay claim to that. All they can do is say "me too!"

I could give a tinkers damn about pictures being printed. You cannot make
the pictures that Andre Kertesz, HCB, Gene Smith, Gary Winogrand, Sebastiao
Salgado are famous for with an 8x10 camera. Or a 4x5 speed graphic, or even
a Hasselblad. It's not practical, or in many cases possible. Leica started
that era of photojournalism, which is essentially unchanged in spirit to
this day, except it's often in color these days.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You're only young once; you can be immature f'ever