Subject: Re: [Leica] depth of field..depth of focus?
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:32:20 -0700

> I had a young photo student ask me, "Why do they call it depth of field
> when it's really a kind of "depth of focus?"

For what it's worth "Lenses in Photography" by Rudolf Kingsgate, Garden City
Press 1951 defines "depth of focus" as the range *inside the camera* in
which the image is in acceptable focus. I don't know if this definition is
universally accepted or not. The depth of focus is directly proportional to
the focal length times the F stop and inversely proportional to your COC.