Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: E.Adams & Vietnam Photo
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 12:39:16 -0500

I have heard that the reason they were both there is that the media was
made aware something of this nature was about to happen and Adams and the
TV guy were on the way there and got there right as the event was about
to happen.

The TV footage never got quite the same acclaim as the Adams photo...one
reason I guess is it is in color and is more "realistic" since it is a
moving picture therefore seems more gruesome.

And yes the Adams photo did win the Pulitzer..the first of 3 Adams won.

On 9/12/99 12:14 PM Paul Schiemer wrote:

>My questions are this; I've seen moving picture footage of the very same
>vantage point, where the entire sequence is played out in horrific detail.
>Am I to understand that Mr. Adams AND a motion picture cameraman were
>standing side by side at that moment? Is the single fame we all attribute to
>Mr. Adams (and a Leica) actually a frame taken from a motion picture camera?
>Does anyone know about the 'real time' segment I am referring to? Has anyone
>else seen it? Did E. Adams photo earn a Pulitzer as I am led to believe?
>(and what year was that awarded?)
>Did the 'real time' footage gain equal acclaim?

Best regards,
Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net
http://www.mcclary.net