Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Tilley Hats!
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 16:47:31 -0700

Marc James Small wrote:

> The last time we did the Tilley Hat thread, it turned out that the only
> folks who would admit to wearing hats were bald guys.  Now, allow me to
> enquire on this point again:  are there any of the hirsute among our number
> who actually wear hats?
>
> I admit to a tremendous prejudice against hats and never wear them.  But I
> am blessed with what the Good Lord intended, a decent head of hair.
>
> Marc

I remember reading how Jack Kennedy had a full hat rack in the Navy but after he
got out never wore one again. I'm pretty vain too. My portrait experience has
taught me that men are far more vain then most women and I am more vain than
most men. My hair is thin but there. Unfashionably long. Wearing a hat makes me
look like I'm hiding something I don't have when I really have it. So I avoid
wearing them when I can. But I hear it's better to wear a hat than wear
sunglasses. And I avoid wearing sunglasses because I like to be tuned into the
light as photography is my life. So the UV finds me as I'm not about to coat my
face with carcinogenic chemical. Too bad. I wear a cotton fisherman type hat
when the sun is out. A baseball hat get's in the way of shooting. I like a hat I
can crumple up and stick in my pocket when I'm at the movies or just hot.
Mark Rabiner