Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: E.Adams & Vietnam Photo
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 17:38:35 -0500

At 02:20 PM 9/12/99 +0000, B. D. Colen wrote:
>Let's hear it for still photography, which, claims of the Dirk Halsteads of
>the world not withstanding, will always have more impact than "moving
>pictures."

I think our bias towards still will make us thing this way. But it's two
different media. The one has more power in some ways. When sound and
movement add to the subject. But still photography is a more powerful
medium when the point is a moment in time. Grabbing that moment takes
enormous skill and dedication, a good eye and good timing to boot!

Dirck is right in terms or marketing, but in terms of images, I think he's
too hooked on gizmos and new techie stuff. Which, don't get me wrong, I
love to play with. But it's not the main thing when it comes to
photography. I could care less what camera/lens took a great photo. It's
the eye and heart of the photographer that counts. Tools can enhance, in
big ways and subtle, but cannot replace what makes great images.

What's really cool is Nick UT is still working in Los Angeles for the
Associated Press, and it's fun to see what photographing these days. From
presidential candidates, to fires in the Hollywood hills to a couple
kissing in a fountain on a hot day. He's got an eye for great photos.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I don't get no respect. I called a suicide prevention line and they tried
to talk me into it.  -- Rodney Dangerfield