Subject: [Leica] Re: E. Adams & Vietnam Photo
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 15:28:14 -0400

Claes Bjerner wrote:
> Personally I doubt very much that Leonardo Henriksson would have objected to
> that particular use of his film.

[And yes, that was the same piece I was referring to; TV cameraman Leonardo
Henriksson and the Chilean military police. Thanks.]

The controversy wasn't from the family of the photographer, or any other
person or organization close to him- but from the filmmaking community.
As I remember; the controversy even included a demonstration outside the
hall where the exposition was.
That a single frame was utilized (purportedly without permission) by the
promoters of the event, that it was taken out of context, and it was also
not given proper credit when in print, were all the reasons for the protest.
[This may have been limited to this one exposition, I'm not sure.]

Was once in the middle of an upheaval (failed coup) in a Central American
country. My cameras were in my bag in the bedroom (under the bed), I was in
the front room of my hotel (under the couch, behind the tipped over coffee
table). Didn't get a chance to shoot any pictures. There were eight holes in
the windows in the bedroom the next morning.
And everybody seemed to be going on about their business as usual on the
street below!