Subject: Re: [Leica] Plastic Aspheric Lens Elements
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:35:34 +1000

Art Sala wrote:

> Ken:
>
> I heard that Zeiss is the only lens manufacturer that has the ability
> to grind glass aspheric elements.  Then again, I don't know if it matters
> (photographically speaking)  whether the aspheric element is ground glass,
> moulded plastic or some sandwiched hybrid.  Maybe some other lug lens
> guru can give more technical insight.
>
> Cheers, Arturo

Arturo, I believe Leitz ground the Aspheric glass lenses in the first Noctilux
1.2 in house.
The way I heard it, they where the first to do it for a mass produced lens. I
also don't think, that any of the later aspheric lenses contain only molded
instead of ground lens elements.
I suppose it makes sense, to buy the pre-moulded aspheric elements and then do
the final grinding in house.
I am sure if you ask Marc Small or Erwin Putz, they will be able to trough some
more light on to the subject.

Regards, Horst Schmidt