Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Tilley Hats!
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 01:42:32 -0400

At 07:06 AM 9/13/1999 -0700, Donal Philby wrote:
>But tell me what other hat give protection
>from sun AND left you put camera to eye with soft brim AND stay on at 45
mph?
>(despite someone saying you never wear one with the chin strap.)

<<<Dear God, but this keeps begging the question:  why wear a damned hat at
all?  One of the virtues of finally retiring from the military was being
able to NOT wear a hat under ANY conditions whatever, a freedom I glory in.
 Yes, I do some boating.  Yes, I hike and camp.  Yes, we have four seasons
here.

Damn, but I HATE hats.  Of any sort.

One NICE thing about being self-employeed as I can make all of those jerks
in baseball caps take them off when they are indoors.>>>

Marc

Not to say they are are a new thing...  but it is precisely this last
comment that refers to the monopoly that 'baseball caps' have become.  It
bothers me  -  not hats but baseball hats.  I think many people want to
cover their heads for one reason or another.  But would you not consider it
unfortunate that 'style' for whatever its worth has been snuffed out by the
baseball cap?  The Universities  some everyone has a white baseball hat!  A
fedora would look funny on them.  I know a hat shop owner and we discuss
hats.  He's trying to convert the baseball hatters into...something
else...The headcovering is being compromised for the sake of plainness.
Also other hats change the whole dress of the person, we would assume.