Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M7 at 2000's Photokina!!!
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:20:59 -0500

At 02:37 AM 9/14/99 -0400, TSL wrote:
>The 70-180 is how much?  The 180
>APO Elmarit?  I haven't even bothered to notice the prices as I've already
>been frightened away...

Well, the zoom is quite astronomical, but not that bad, considering the
price, used. And one was just offered here last Friday for $3,500. For that
kind of performance in a zoom, relatively reasonable. The equivalent of two
AF-S Nikkor Zooms, and a brick of film or two. :-)

The 180 is also expensive, but not much more than its predecessor. And for
it's reported performance, with the difference.

IF you cant afford them new, Leica lenses are bargains in comparison used.
And they last so long, it's worth the difference with competitors IF you
really want that extra edge of performance. The edge is obvious with the
Vario Apo zoom. I know, I've used 'em all, except the new AF-S lens. I'll
probably get a chance soon to compare that one too.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Be nice to people on your way up because you'll need them on your way down.
- -W. Migner