Subject: Re: [Leica] Introduction and Questions
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:02:19 -0500

At 08:56 PM 9/13/99 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>But Horst, don't some haandle a different variety of lenses in the
>finder?

The M6 is the camera to get. Especially since you want to use wider lenses
than 50mm. That's as wide as that camera can handle conveniently, or with
modern lenses without supplementary finders. The M6 finder handles 28, 35,
50, 75, 90 and 135. Anything wider on any lens is going to require a
supplementary viewfinder. (Except for some exotic adaptations by one of our
very own lugnuts).

You can adapt the M6 viewfinder to most earlier cameras. But not the M3
(generally speaking, seems someone had it done, but Leica won't for just
anybody, will they?)

And don't discount the value of a through the lens meter (not flash, just
metering). The M6 really sings with its meter. It's very accurate once you
get to know it, and it's much faster than having to transfer the readings
by looking away at the meter and setting lens and aperture, then looking,
focusing and shooting. Keeping the eye to the viewfinder is much quicker.
And isn't speed a major factor for owning an M?

The newest lenses tend to have the best performance. The 35 Summilux (which
means f/1.4 - but the P.R. says "the summit of image quality" or something
like that) Aspheric is an awesome lens. If you don't need the speed, the
Summicron (f/2) is a great choice. The performance difference is
insignificant. Just ask yourself if you need the extra speed, and can
afford it. The Summilux is a killer.

Anything wider than that, and you're talking Elmarit (f/2.8). I am hoping a
28 Summicron (f/2) comes out some day. But the Elmarit is a great lens
already. And the 24 is an Aspheric, and the latest 21 is an Aspheric. But
any of the lenses are great and will do you good service. It's just the
newer lenses are SO GOOD!

I love my 75 Summilux, but if you can live with f/2 (Summicron) the new APO
ASPH version is showing itself to be a new trend-setter in image quality.
But since you think 75 would be better, go for the Summilux. The lens is
awesome wide open, and though heavy by M standards is a featherweight by
SLR standards. Mine found me (I didn't find it!) for $1,500. A bargain if
you ask me!

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Be nice to people on your way up because you'll need them on your way down.
- -W. Migner