Subject: Re: [Leica] Adapter for Heliar
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

> I'm thinking about getting the Voigtlander Heliar 15mm screw mount for
> my M6. What kind of adapter will I need to mount it on the M6? I
> understand that there are several different kinds, maybe one for each
> focal length?

I bought a used LTM to M bayonet adapter from Tamarkin. The focal length
frame set by the adapter is of no concern because the Heliar lens is too
wide an angle of view for any M's built in viewfinder. The one I use is
designed to trigger the 90mm frame. Aside from that, all the adapters are
identical.

> Will I still be able to focus through the M6 viewfinder? Will the
> metering work?

The Heliar does not couple at all to the Leica rangefinder mechanism. You
focus it by scale and DoF marks. It is certainly not a problem ... even at
f/4.5, the DoF runs from 3' to infinity (hyperfocal at 5.5').

The meter will work fine, you use the M viewfinder to set the exposure.
Realize, of course, that the view there will be only the most central
portion of the lens' field of view. The meter's sensitive area will likely
include almost the entire viewfinder coverage rather than just the central
spot.

Godfrey