Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photojournalistic integrity and masking
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:04:16 -0700

Paul Schiemer wrote:
><Snip>
> A common thread on this integrity thing is not the original photograph, but
> what happens to it afterward.
> We, as photographers, know what we get is usually a 'truthful'
> representation of reality. We can play with that reality a bit, both in
> taking the image and then in the darkroom.
><Snip>
> Integrity remains intact until custody of the original is lost.

I find it interesting that the "classic" example of this evil demon Photoshop is
the OJ picture on the two magazine covers one of them dramatically darkened to
telling effect.
What i want to know is: Where is the "darken" filter in Photoshop. I know where
to find it in my darkroom especially with the lights off but I can't find it in
Photoshop. Maybe it got corrupted and was zapped by the Norton.
A "friend" (pro photog) of mine handed me some prints he had made of me "with
his Leica M3" a few years back. They were all printed at least a stop down. But
he insisted they were right on. What are you going to do? Some people see the
dark side of you, others don't.
Mark Rabiner