Subject: [Leica] the FACE of a user group
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:57:47 -0400

Whether we call it a newsgroup, a listserv, or a user group it has it's own
personality. It is dedicated to the free exchange of information pertaining
to the stated topic.
Threads are woven into the daily interchange, following particular subjects,
bending off on tangents, sometimes even going full circle. There is an ebb
and flow to the messaging, and there are times it can overwhelm. Likewise
there is an arriving and departing of participants.

A list gets born, lives it's own life, and may even die or wither away.
They are populated by persons who have an interest in the topic, who may
join to learn or already know everything there is.
There are herders in amongst the 'membership' who try diligently to keep
everyone on track, and there are fools, pharos, and gurus too. It is a
growing, thriving thing- that changes daily.
The wizened among the members can relate how it was in the beginning and how
different it is now. The newbies show their excitement easily, they've found
a place to acquire knowledge.

Here at LUG we share a keen interest in photography (we already admit to
owning or wanting to own the best 35mm cameras & lenses). We feel
passionately about photography, in all aspects. Some of it may be of
interest to others so we try to verbalize it here. We ask questions, we get
answers and opinions. It's that exchange that makes the LUG what it is.
It's a fraternity, international in flavor, and hilariously funny sometimes
(you gotta admit).

But, nothing about it is the end of the world perfect. It has foibles and
inconsistencies that are typically evident. You don't have to slam it, its'
existence, nor it's future, or pass judgement on those that contribute or
lurk. It's a big room, we all talk at once sometimes or just keep quiet.
We're usually on topic or near enough. It's a pretty easy thing to omit the
subjects you have no interest in, or eliminate particular contributors.

The personal stuff, name calling & 'attacks', is uncalled for. You wouldn't
do that in public (nor in front of the person). Just because you're alone in
front of your computer doesn't mean you shouldn't think three times before
hitting the send button.
It is our place to keep people in line if they bend or break the rules. It
is a rule of common decency to prohibit inflammatory statements, profanity,
or politically incorrect terminology. We police ourselves.

If you find a topic requiring a more direct exchange with a particular
contributor, take it 'off line' to a private exchange. You'd be surprised
how civilized those exchanges are, and how valuable relationships can be
cultivated therein.