Subject: [Leica] Re: Summicron-M v Summilux-M
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:24:07 -0700

On 17 Sep 99, Roger Underwood wrote, at least in part:

> But he then surprised me by saying that at the Summilux's wider
> apertures the cost of the extra stop is a slight trade off in
> resolution compared with the Summicron.  Can this be still true
> with modern lens design? If anyone can point me in the direction
> of a test on this it would be appreciated.

In the case of the ASPHs, not much truth. The 'lux at f2 is right
there with the 'cron. The extra stop is a bonus which is still, by
previous standards, a very sharp stop. To my way of thinking, it is
more a case of how bothered will you be by the extra size of the
'lux? Of course, if size is paramount, then go for a pre ASPH
'cron; still the best for general walking around street work. Didn't
Erwin have something at his site about the 'lux and 'cron ASPH? I
know that the LHSA publication VIEWFINDER, had a comparison a
number of issues ago, when the 'cron ASPH was introduced.

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

         EQUALITY:
   Prosperity or egalitarianism--you have to choose.
   I favor freedom--you never achieve real equality anyway;
   you simply sacrifice prosperity for an illusion.
               -- Mario Vargas Llosa