Subject: [Leica] Meter Accuracy
From: "Roy Feldman" <royfel@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 19:33:03 -0400

Some comments on Anthony's reply:
I work in a mea commercial studio and we test everything. I have a drawer
full of about $5000 worth of meters (Flash,Color,Spot) both Skein and
Minolta and out of the box they are all a little different, some a bit more
sensitive to different hues and other quirks. We test them and calibrate
them together, one is not necessarily better than another, we just want
consistence. I don't think if one disagreed with another I would throw it
out.
In your original post you said you were using Provia, I personally rate this
at 80 but my partner rates it at 100. Since we run our own E6 I can see
minor changes at the lab can cause you to believe metering is off. Perhaps
it is the Lab not the meter that needs calibration.
You mention that you spent $3000 for your Camera but your concerned with the
price of film? Well I have spent a lot more on state of the art meters and
cameras but if I didn't bracket I would be laughed out of the business. I
meter, check with Polaroid shoot a film snip test and bracket.
Spend money on fresh film from a pro stock house, go to a good lab (Q-Labs
are pretty well regulated) don't try to recoup the money you spent on a
camera with grey market film and a mailer (how hot is it inside a mail box
in the middle of summer?)
Finally( you don't need film for this), set the ASA one click past 100 ,go
out on a sunny day and point at green grass not in shade, set the shudder to
125, are you near F16?If you are be happy, if not send your camera in for
repair.