Subject: Re: [Leica] Consistent underexposure problem
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 19:09:39 +0200

From: <Norcimmus@aol.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 1999 17:11

> Anthony, when I recommended that you subscribe to the LUG, I
> also indicated that the group would be very helpful provided
> you didn't get in their face.

Yes; that's why I've avoided suggesting that anyone on the list is arrogant or
accusing Leica of fraud.

> Now you have gone and done it.
>
> The group has been very helpful in trying to
> pinpoint your exposure problem, but you have certainly
> not gone out of your way to be diplomatic in this environment
> of dedicated Leicaphiles.

I am puzzled by this observation.  Let's look again at the text to which I was
responding:

>> It will never cease to suprise me the number of people who
>> think that spending a lot of money automatically entitles
>> them to be arrogant.

or how about

>> To suggest that Leica `routinely defrauds its customers' based
>> on this one, single experience is so boneheaded that there is
>> only one suitable response:
>>
>> Open mouth; Insert foot.

I'm afraid I fail to see how I am not being diplomatic, if the above backquotes
_are_ diplomatic.  I also fail to see how the above is being helpful in trying
to resolve my exposure problem.  Can you explain?

> I think this entitles me to be somewhat undiplomatic.

You don't need my permission to be undiplomatic.

> You are a notorious defender of the F5's matrix metering system.

I don't know about notorious, but I certainly think it works well.

> I believe you have stated that the hit rate is 99%, and you use
> it almost all the time. I.e., you are using the F5 as a point and
> shoot because that works well enough for you.

From a metering standpoint, yes, that's true.

> I think your skills in determining exposure have deteriorated
> from lack of use.

I agree.

> In hindsight, it would have been better for you to have practiced
> with the F5 in spot or center-weighted mode before purchasing the
> M6 in order to test your exposure skills with a more familiar
> camera and thus have a better basis for evaluating the new camera.

The F5 does not have a metering mode that duplicates the M6 meter.  Spot and
center-weighted are not the same as a circular target zone.

> IMO you are screwing up your exposures. It is your fault.

I agree.

> You have timidly entertained the notion that it might be the
> fault of the camera.

No, I have not entertained that notion at all.  It was _suggested to me_ that
the camera might be at fault (the latest suggestion is that the shutter might be
off).  I have always believed that it is me, not the camera, so I'm not sure why
all these camera failures have been postulated.  The camera, as far as I can
tell, is working perfectly.

> Wrong song!

I agree.  You are preaching to the choir.

> You are in complete control of your M6.

I know.

You might want to look at my previous posts, also, and perhaps you can point out
to me where I have blamed my incorrect exposures on anything other than my own
mistakes.

  -- Anthony