Subject: Re: [Leica] [NOT LEICA] WAY OT - MOTORBIKES
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 23:07:16 +0000

>For my 48th birthday this year, I purchased a 1976 R75/6 BMW Airhead.  Rode
>it 600 miles to go camping with my parents.  Boxer engine, clunky
>shifter,,very BMW.  jh

Young man;

I took my 1974  R75/6 to London and Berlin last year. When changing gears,
try to do it in two steps with a short pause in the middle, and do not pull
the clutch completely, just one third of the way suffices, that makes
changing gears less clunky. And if you are good at it, just ease the
throttle a bit when changing up, there is no need to use the clutch.
Changing down is another story...

(All this came very handy as the bowden cable for the clutch broke in West
London and the garage with spare cables in stock was in the East End. Got
immediate  and excellent service there just because the mechanics mother
was Swedish!)

Which BMW model will you get as your second bike?

And to the person who started this thread: BMW boxers are great for
tinkers, and parts are easily available for 25 year old machines.

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58