Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V11 #85
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:37:26 -0700

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> > Lucky for you her husband wasn't there (she obviously DID NOT want you to
> > photograph her kid) - . . .you'd may have found out how your f***ing Leica
> > tastes as well as feels!
> >
> > Candid grab street shots are challanging and can be rewarding. But if
> > someone clearly protests, continuing to shoot is a viscious invasion of
> > privacy, in my opinion.
>
> She wasn't protesting, she was putting her hand over her kid's face. This
> hid the face, in case that's hard for you to understand.
>
> If people ask me to stop, I stop. Until then, I shoot. Afterwards, the woman
> in question asked me what I was doing and I told her.
>
> You can photograph what you like in a public place.
>
> --
> Johnny Deadman

I agree with you here Johnny. Lets not be too quick to run off with our tails
between our legs.
A reasonable expectation of privacy does not a public sidewalk make. If they
want to be paranoid about our photographic motivations and agenda they can stuff
it. Twenty years ago this candid shooting would go unquestioned. Now all
photographers are ridiculous perverts.
Mark Rabiner