Subject: Re: [Leica] whats going on on ebay US ?
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:43:12 +0200

Wolfgang,

I see that others have already answered your question about reserve prices. I
have a couple of tips if you want to use ebay:

1) You are dealing with private sellers whom you do not know. Obviously, you
want to be careful in this situation. Ebay has an escrow service, whereby the
transaction is conducted via ebay (the buyer sends them the money, which is not
released to the seller until the buyer has received the merchandise).

2) A lot of final selling prices are unreasonably high, as people get caught up
in action fever and bid up the items to ridiculous levels. If you are interested
in an item, you should first investigate the local cost (for example at
http://www.foto-hobby.de) and then put in a bid lower than that as your
maximum--and stick to it! If you are outbid, so be it. After all, what is the
point of buying something in the US (where the vast majority of ebay sellers are
located) if you could buy it for the same price in Germany? A related issue is
shipping to Germany and possible customs duty and VAT--once you add around 20%
to the price, is it still interesting?

Opinion related to ebay is divided here, some people on the LUG have reported
getting incredible bargains, while others have not. I am in the latter
category--every time I have bid on an item, I have been outbid in the end, and
the final price was almost always higher than I could buy this item for in
Europe.

Nathan

"Wolfgang.Oehms" wrote:

> Hey lugs,
>
> we have got now in germany ebay as well. They sell at the present time about
> 40 leica-items. The us-ebay offers more then 600 leica-items and they are
> much, much cheaper then in germany (shops and ebay).
> so i will try to buy some items from there. But what does that mean "
> reserve not yet met" ?
>
> Regards
>
> Wolfgang

- --