Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Recommendations for M6 Camera Tripod
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:45 +0100 (BST)

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> I'd love a Gitzo CF tripod too, except for how much they cost. Someday
> I'll spring for it.

I suggest you have a look at the Carbon Fibre versions from Velbon.
There's a four section (http://www.velbon.com/car-640.html) and a three
section (http://www.velbon.com/car-630.html), and they're a *LOT* cheaper
than the Gitzo, while being very well made and robust.

I have had the four section version for about 6 months. Several of my
friends have the same model, and so far none of us have found fault.

I was in Teamwork (http://www.teamworkphoto.co.uk/) the other day when a
LUG member purchased a four section model, and can confirm that they're
still 195 pounds (about $300).

> CF tripods are very light, almost too light in some circumstances,
> though. How do you stabilize the tripod so it doesn't fall over so
> easily?

The Velbon comes with a sling arrangement that clips onto all three legs.
I usually wedge something heavy (like my camera bag) in there if it's
windy.

David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk