Subject: RE: [Leica] What I did today
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:14:56 -0000

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us]On Behalf Of Anthony
Atkielski
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 1999 8:41 PM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

From: Robert McElwee <romcelwee@mindspring.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 1999 20:42

> I make a practice to ask if I may photograph a person,
> have NEVER been turned down, people usually say "thank
> you" ...

>Never?  Does this include subjects like women and >children?

Interesting point...

About a year ago I posted something regarding this, but it's worth
repeating...

While on assignment in Somalia in early 1993 I was spending most of my time
with two international medical aid organizations. While at a clinic run by
one, I asked if the Somalis I was shooting, who didn't speak English, minded
being photographed....Oh heavens no, said the French nurses and docs, take
photos of what ever you want. So I did... Later, at a refugee camp, I was
warned NOT to take photos of the women, because, as Muslims, they objected
violently to being photographed.

Now, the women I photographed at the clinic were also Muslims - and not
members of some other sect  - but they were beholden to the docs who were
telling me that there was no objection to photographing.....

Obviously, I was there, in the middle of a famine and civil war, as a
journalist, which is a far different thing from grabbing some personal shots
on the street on a Sunday, but the lesson is worth considering none the
less....