Subject: [Leica] Re: Protection of R19/2.8
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:29:54 -0700

The wind and elements will not hurt your lens. There is absolutely no
reason to put another piece of glass in front of any lens unless it is
"enhancing" your photograph. The lens coating is an ionic deposit
molecularly bond to the glass. It is exceedingly hard.

Lens caps and lens shades do the best job of protecting a lens without
degrading the image. These are Leica Solms' words.

Bottom line, you cannot put a filter in front of the 15, 16, or 19mm lenses.

Jim