Subject: Re: [Leica] What I did today ..or...GET A LIFE!
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 21:58:31 -0500

At 11:49 PM 9/20/99 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>When it comes to protecting fundamental freedoms, a bit of provocation may
>be in
>order.  If you don't need someone's permission to do something, asking for
>permission is effectively signing away your freedom

How? Being polite is losing rights? I don't think so. To photograph a kid
on a swing (or whatever) if the parent is there, I ask. It's the "nice"
thing to do. It is NOT news, it is a slice of life for the reader to enjoy
- - if you're a newspaper photographer.

If it's a drug dealer, I could give a hoot what he wants. If it's a
politician, too bad. If it's the local postmaster throwing a bunch of old
people out of, as he says, "My building," like happened here a couple weeks
ago when he tried to kick the old folks and news media out of a meeting,
then it's my DUTY to photograph him, permission or not. My being polite to
mom at the park has nothing to do with my right to photograph on public
property in a dispute between citizens and the government. The government
has no say. That's democracy.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

.one sees the glass half full, another, the glass half
              empty. The engineer sees the glass twice as big as it has to be.