Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: HCB story
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:12:16 -0700

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> > Beaumant Newhall describes (in his autobiography, 'Focus') a lovely cafe
> > scene where he was with H.C-B and without looking at his camera the
> > exposure and focus were set for a portrait of someone across the tables. In
> > an instant the scene was recorded because H.C-B knew what the exposure
> > would need to be and he knew how to prefocus his camera, these are the
> > techniques of a craft which are sadly not learnt by a modern generation of
> > photographers.
>
> This is not such a pipe dream, actually. If I was shooting with an M I would
> automatically set it for the ballpark exposure when I went into a new
> lighting situation eg the cafe. It would then be easy to focus according to
> scale ("without looking at the camera" is IMHO perhaps a slight
> exagerration). I have some very nice pictures taken in exactly this way.
> Important to be using a 35mm or wider lens, as the framing is pretty hit and
> miss.
>
> --
> Johnny Deadman
>
> "Even the best writers talk too much" - Vauvenargues

Did I hear the HCB story here about HCB owes a guy a big favor and agrees to
repay it by getting a shot of somebody? The Guy brings HCB in to the subjects
office and they both sit down. After talking for a minute asks HCB if he's ready
to take the guys picture. HCB tells him he's already got the shot. He had his
camera sitting on his lap in his hands.
I easily believe it. HCB was lighting fast with his Leica. He anticipated. And
did it as if in a dream. Didn't have to think, he prethunk. Comes from being
inseparable with your camera and anticipating. And perhaps being a Genius.
That's how I see it.
Mark Rabiner