Subject: Re: [Leica] What I did today
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:58:54 +0200

From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 09:04

> Mass psychosis. There are many bad things happening, and
> one or two incidents happen to have involved picture taking.

Maybe it would be best to try to treat the psychosis, instead of accepting it as
if it were inevitable.

> Statistically, I bet the photo-related crimes are totally
> negligible.

I agree.

> But there have been the sort of mass media that keep pounding
> in on people's consciousness for not too long a time. Now people
> live a life in fear.

I agree.

Personally, I stopped watching the news years ago.  It's always bad news, it's
always depressing, and in the final analysis, it is almost never news that
really has any affect on me personally, so I can easily do without it.

The media always emphasize bad news, because they know that when people are
worried or scared about something, they'll crave more information on that
something in a search for reassurance, and so they'll continue to watch TV or
read the papers.  Good news doesn't have this effect: instead, it encourages
people to get on with their lives, and often they may stop watching or reading
the news almost entirely.  Not good for advertising and subscription revenues,
obviously.

  -- Anthony