Subject: RE: [Leica] clandestine photographs of other people
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 07:10:13 -0700

> Since this is a legitimate photographic endeavor, perhaps you
> should have
> some ID (photo club) and a page or two description, perhaps including
> pictures, to show camera shy or otherwise bothered people that you are
> neither a private eye (snooping on them) nor a potential
> child molester.

I'm way ahead of you, Jim :-)  In fact I carry a small album of 4x6 prints
showing my progress so far.  The first page of the album has my club
membership card and some business cards from my day job so that people can
contact me for prints if they wish.  This was suggested on the LUG when I
first had my problem and asked for help.  I've used it, and it works like a
charm.

The one thing I found makes the biggest difference is if you can give people
a concrete reason for taking the pictures.  A club competition counts (and
is also non-threatening from a publication POV).  Taking pictures "just
because I like to" doesn't cut it.  It's such an unusual activity
(especially shooting children) that people are sure you must have a specific
reason.  Claiming you don't arouses their suspicions even further.

Paul Chefurka