Subject: Re: [Leica] What I did today ..or...GET A LIFE!
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 11:15:11 -0700

Ruralmopics@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/21/99 5:10:23 AM, anthony@atkielski.com writes:
>
> <<No, but given people the impression that you need their permission to take
> photographs on the street is a slippery slope.  They need to understand that
> public places are public, not private, and that they are not entitled to
> forbid
> anything that happens to displease them.
> >>

> When I was shooting daily feature pics for the newspaper I never asked
> permission to run someone's picture. I merely identified myself, told them
> what I was doing and asked if I could have their name for the cutline. I
> figured if they went along with all of that then they didn't have a problem
> with it. It's a little slicker but it discourages any expression of choice on
> their part.
>
> Bob McEowen

I would not ask but it was obvious I was shooting picture as I was using a flash
and a notepad and not blending in. After the flash I would immediately walk up
to then and "I'd like to get the spelling on your name?" Shot and ran thousands
of people not one ever did not give me the spelling on their name. It was an on
the scenes column in the 80's.
Mark Rabiner