Subject: Re: [Leica] outsourcing manufacture ...
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:50:27 -0700

>Sounds like it came right out of a brochure!

The fact that we write in the brochures what we believe in and execute
upon does not compromise the facts.

>But you can compromise, sacrificing some quality in the hope that customers
>won't notice.

The process of engineering a product always involves compromises,
particularly complex products like cameras, computers, televisions,
automobiles, etc. Saying "in the hope that customers won't notice" is
disparaging, implies we are trying to put something over on (defraud) the
customer.

More precisely, we try never to make compromises that risk the customer's
satisfaction with the products. Quality is difficult to measure, it's
often more evident by its absence. If the customer becomes aware
something is lacking, i.e.: the product does not meet their expectations
or their needs/desires, then we've made a bad compromise. The proper
response is to improve the product and assist the customer.

What we want is to produce top notch products which satisfy us and the
customers, and to do it in the way which is most advantageous for the
company and its shareholders. That's what quality is about in the realm
of manufactured goods, or at least it should be.

Godfrey