Subject: Re: [Leica] M and R Future
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 16:05:49 -0700

Stephen Gandy  wrote:

>>It's going to be very interesting what happens over the next five years
or
so with Leica. <<

Stephen,

You could say that about photography in general. I happen to think that
Leica is in a very good position.

My predictions are that photography will experience a huge revival in the
next decade. Bandwidth will increase dramatically. More people will have
access to the Internet. Sending photographs will be more practical. Home
publishing (desktop publishing and having your own website) will become
more popular. Digital cameras will become more commonplace. Conventional
cameras will also become more commonplace. People will communicate more
graphically as e-mail changes from text to pictures.

Not everyone will want to mess around with digital cameras. Conventional
film is more practical in certain respects. You can hold a huge amount of
information on one roll of 35mm film. Conventional film is more archival.
You're less reliant on batteries. In some respects conventional film is
easier to use. I don't see it being completely replaced by digital.

Film scanners will improve in quality and affordability. Films will
continue to improve. Might we see an APS Leica body that uses existing
lenses, or how about a half frame body? (I'm not trying to start rumors
here. I'm just stating some possibilities). Kodak is pushing Picture CD.
Other's will jump on the bandwagon, and the whole thing could explode in
popularity. I think DVD will play a role.  Instead of sending pictures,
people will send DVD compatible CDs with audio and photographs.

I say that Leica is in a good position because there will always be a
market for top quality products. If other manufacturers are brining out
products that compete with Leica (M), that's good news. If the popularity
of interchangable lens rangefinder cameras increases -- via marketing by
competitors -- increases Leica could end up selling more.  Since they are
at the top of the market they have unique demand elasticities. They can
demand higher margins (they probably do already). As I said, there will
always be a market for the best.

Of course, I could be wrong in all this. But I'm certainly not ready to
count 35mm conventional photography out. And as long as conventional
photography is around, Leica will be around.

Dave