Subject: [Leica] Re: Taiwan Earthquake OFF TOPIC
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 09:47:19 +0800

Dear LUGGERS;
Here is what has happened to me yesterday!
I am back early from Taiwan, having survived another earthquake - the first
one I was in was the Tang Shan quake of July 1976 (North China 600,000
dead)  - and yesterday night's was comparatively quiet but very long -
about a minute which seemed like an hour. I rolled out of bed and stood in
the bathroom - supposedly the most structurally secure part of a hotel
room. The Sherwood hotel in Taipei is well built using anti earthquake
technology and rolled back and forth during the tremor but with a lot of
creaking and groaning! As I was waking up I thought some big guy was making
love upstairs! The hotel lights flickered but did not go out but later when
I looked out across the street the apartment building was in darkness and
you could see the occupants going from room to room with flash lights. I
got my passport and plane tickets out of the safe in case the power went
off.  A police car went by, there were only a few people in the street and
no one was running in the hallways of the hotel so I went back to bed. I
was woken up twice by more tremors and finally got up at 7, phoned my wife
Esther in Hong Kong to tell her I was fine, because CNN was broadcasting
from the epicenter in Central Taiwan and there the 'quake was serious! In
the bathroom there were some broken tiles and water running from one light.
In the light of day dust was everywhere. I packed and checked out and went
to the airport - I didn't see much damage in Taipei itself - the epicenter
was over 100 km away - but the traffic lights were out - and strangely this
seemed to smooth the traffic pattern. I always think Taipei City must have
gotten a volume discount on traffic lights! At the airport I stood by for
Cathay Pacific and managed to get up-graded to First Class and was home in
Hong Kong by early afternoon. What with Typhoon York and now this I am
being to wonder if I attract disaster. Esther and I are going to New York
on Friday. I hope we don't bring disaster to New York. :)
Cheers
Howard (safe in Hong Kong on the 35th floor which feels a little unsteady
tonight!)
PS I had my CLE and Skopar lens with me but I didn't take any pictures - I
just got the hell outta there.