Subject: [Leica] Decisions, decisions
From: "Johnny Deadman" <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:11:57 +0100

> Interesting thoughts. Did Cartier-Bresson comment on this? I have read
> Cartier-Bresson's statements on the subject of his photography, and it
> seems to me to be more like the moment when history had come to a fine
> point. Where everything in the picture (geometry, timing, composition,
> exposure) come together for that quick instant where everything works. Not
> just before, as the person above argues. Have you read Beaumont Newhall's
> essay in one of HCB's books? Seems to argue for decisive. (They were
> friends, by the way).

I've no idea what HCB thought of this. I'd be interested in any pointers you
have on where he did talk about this, though. Where was the Beaumont Newhall
essay? I'll dig out my PHOTOGRAPHERS ON PHOTOGRAPHY and see what's in there
too.

- --
Johnny Deadman

"One is ashamed to want so much for oneself - but how else are you going to
justify your failure and your effort?" - Robert Frank