Subject: Re: [Leica] 21mm Elmarit-M vs 50mm Noctilux
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 20:38:26 -0700

Bob McEowen wrote:

>If I hadn't just bought a 24mm that would be easy . . . I'd go for the 21mm.
>Given the choice today I'd take the 50mm, sell it and buy a "normal" 50 and a
>90 and maybe another body. I just can't think of enough situations where I
>would be able to make use of the narrow depth of field at f 1.0 to justify
>that honking piece of glass.

Hello Bob,

But why couldn't you use it at high noon? It's only a matter of using slow
asa film and the highest possible shutter speed to make wonderful images
the likes of no other.

But what's important is to truly believe in shooting at the  "widest
possible aperture and the highest possible shutter speed!"  What really
throws people off is, "Gee I always have to stop down to 8 or 11, as I like
sharp pictures!" These are the folks who should get their eyes tested.

The truth is, they don't know how to focus properly nor do they have the
photographic understanding that they can be very creative working wide
open! Most of the time the background isn't relevant to the image and is
far better off being completely out of focus as a blur of colour or B&W.

>Also, while I've never even held a Noctilux, I suspect that there really
>isn't that much difference in low-light usability between the two lenses when
>you take "hand-holdability" into account. I just can't imagine reliably
>hand-holding that big 50 at much less than 1/60 while I'm quite confident
>1/15 is a pretty safe bet with the 21mm>>>>>>

Au contraire mon ami! It's much easier to hold a heavy lens and camera than
a lighter one!  I, and I know other LUG Noctilux members work quite
regularly at 1/15th. When pressing my luck big time at....1/8th I win some
lose some! :)  Kinda like "available darkness" and you just can't do that
with any other hand holdable lens unless it happens to be an f.1.0.

>I'm sure I'm just not sophisticated enough to appreciate it but I view the
>Noctilux and similar lenses as "freaks" -- toys for those hung up on
>numbers>>>

Wrong! I use mine in my work all the time, as I truly believe in "what you
see with the naked eye you can photograph!" If you understand your
equipment and processing of film! There isn't anything freaky about it at
all, other than the wonderful images you put on film when all else fails.

>and not really a practical tool for day to day photography.>>>>>>

Nope! It's an every day to day lens. What it does is, it allows you to show
"no fear" regardless of the light! I bet after you started to use one,
you'd never want to be without it! :) Trust me, I've used mine since 1967!
And it's a hummer of a lens! :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant